Tuesday, July 5, 2011

if this weekend were an episode of Dora....

......We'd be singing the "We Did It"  song!!!

We went to Horseneck Beach on the 4th of July!

I know, crazy, right?  The hands down busiest day of the year at an enormous beach, and I decide to take my son?    But something just kept bugging me that I needed to do it.   It's where my dad used to take my siblings and I when we were little.  

(Side story:  I once had to be "rescued" after my sister and I dared each other to see who could go out the furthest.  The issue with this beach is, you can keep going and going and going, and it really doesn't get much deeper.  There really isn't a drop-off.  Suddenly you are out SUPER far, and you're only up to your chin.   But the current is STRONG!!!!   The rip tide and undertow are so strong that it takes a combination of sheer brutal strength and mental focus to get back in if you are out too far.  The lifeguards on this beach are no joke...they are STRONG!   I was actually doing just fine....I learned from years of swimming that if you get a bit too far out here, pace yourself, do not go at a straight angle to get back to the beach, but rather aim somewhere off to the right, and don't freak out.  All very important to remember, and I was doing all three.  Suddenly, in the midst of one of my calm strokes, someone picked me up!!!!!   Freaked the living daylights out of me!!!  Apparently the lifeguards decided my slow and steady approach was too slow and steady, and they thought I was in distress.   I was probably about 12 at the time, so I can see why they worried.   But we were incredibly strong swimmers (all on the swim team for years and lots of experience with this particular current) and the funny part was my dad wasn't even worried about me.  But again, they do know the beach, so we thanked them for their help, and dad made me stay in water no further than my knees for the rest of the day.   I think that's the gist of my side story). 

So taking my guy to a beach full of people, and tons of extra sensory input the day before summer session of school started?   Why I got this into my head I'll never know...but off we went!

We had been once in April.  I took him there when it was deserted so he could have a social story about the beach.  We took pictures, brought sand toys, the whole works.  It just happened that it was only 60 degrees that gorgeous spring day, and the place was deserted.  But it worked out, because he was prepared to go again! 

We got a spot that was as far from the water as possible (his choice) and settled in.  He was nervous, so asked for his snack, ate a bite, put it back in the bag, played for a minute, asked for the snack, again and again.  I just kept calm, and gave him what he needed.   Then we talked about getting water to make mud for the trucks we brought.   Took us about 5 times of starting down to the water, then going back to the blanket before we finally made it to the water so I could fill the bucket.  And then:  heaven!  He LOVED the sand- which blew me away!   We wore sand shoes, of course, and that might have helped.  It wasn't too hot on the soles of his feet, the rocks weren't that bumpy, whatever.   On top of that, when we went down for the bucket again, slowly but surely, he put his toes in the water!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Then went in to his ankles.  Then to his KNEES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  He got the best grin on his face- he was so proud of himself, and yet having so much fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When he was done, we went back to the blanket for another snack (overcoming fears is hungry work, dontcha know?)  and he played with sand toys again.  independantly.  No need to call my name constantly to make sure I was still there sitting next to him.  No insistance I play with him, but then control the whole play scenario.  No stress over the people who sat down near us and started a radio.  he actually DANCED to the music instead of getting upset about it.  

And then came the kicker.  By this point, I was almost in tears.  The entire experience was such a blessing- especially after the awful week we've had.  So as incentive, I had told him we would go for ice cream when he was done at the beach.  There's a stand on Route 88 that has that homemade ice cream and clam cakes (yum!!!  will miss those when I get to CT...12 years in Fairfield County, and I never saw them anywhere there!)  So we walk down the boardwalk, hit the potty on our way out, and then walk past the outdoor showers.   Seeing other kids there, he was curious, so I showed him how you can hit the button and wash off the sand.  He HATES showers.  Is terrified of them, to the point that if it drips when he's in the bath, he shoots out of the  bathtub like a rocket!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   But he was good with the foot shower, and got a huge kick out of it.  Since there wasn't anyone else using them after the other kids left, I let him play with the showers.  And then he accidentally hit the overhead shower button.  Prepared for a meltdown, I dropped the bags on a nearby bench, and started over.  And do you know what he did?  He LAUGHED and hit it again!  and again!  and again!!!   

I needed this weekend.  I needed it so badly.   And he did too.  He is so incredibly proud of himself!!!!!!  He had a rough night, but I think that was more about school starting again with a different teacher and different time than anything to do with the beach trip. 

We did it!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feeling tired too? Give us a shout out!